CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Red Tomato Salsa

20 pounds of tomatoes
4 cup. chopped green pepper
5 cup chopped onions
9 to 12 cloves of garlic minced*
1/2 to 1 cup chopped hot pepper*
2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup cilantro chopped fine
2 1/2 T. salt
1 1/2 T black pepper
parsley optional

Blanche the tomatoes. An easy way to this is to put th etomatoes in the sink and pour boiling water over them. Let them sit for about 5 minutes and the peeling will slide right off! Chop in large chunks and set in strainer to drain for 1 hour or until juice is drained off. Dice tomatoes. Chop all other veggies in cuisinart to desired size. Mix everything together. Heat vinegar till hot on the stove. Pour hot vinegar over all. Pack on jars. Boil in canner about 10 minutes. Makes 7 quart.

Note: I do all my work with the tomatoes in strainers. When I chunk them I chunk them into strainers. When I'm ready to dice them I dice them into a strainer. The more juice you can get off of them the better. This makes a nice thick salsa that isnt just tomato juice and vinegar with a few lumps of stuff in it. On my no! This my friends is hearty stuff! The real McCoy! (Whoever that is)

*adjust to taste

1 comments:

dr nancy said...

Thanks a bunch Mrs D! That's a great idea about blanching the tomatoes. It sounds much easier than my method of putting them in boiling water for a minute, fishing them out, then placing them in cold water.

It snowed last night so I need to see if I have any tomatoes left. Otherwise it's off to the produce stand.